Developing a Kids Ministry Team
Good stuff on children’s ministry here from the Resurgence.
As a church grows, staff pleas often shift from “we have got to get volunteers” to “I really need a new hire.” HR budgets aside, it is a church staff’s job to develop volunteer teams for disciple-making and loadbearing.
WE INVITE PEOPLE INTO SERVICE FOR GROWTH
The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 2:5, “You yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”
Each person in the church is a living stone who has a purpose: bearing Kingdom weight so that ministry walls can extend and more people can “come on in.” It’s Christ who edifies us. It’s Christ who assembles us. It’s Christ who bears the weight. But Jesus working in and through us builds our ever-growing spiritual house.
WE INVITE PEOPLE INTO SERVICE TO AVOID GETTING CRUSHED
A stone in a wall bears real weight. As a staff member, your role is stacked with heavy to-dos. The more people (living stones) who serve alongside (offering spiritual sacrifices of service), the less likely you are to be crushed by your job.
Each person in the church is a living stone who has a purpose.
So how do we invite people into service? The same way Jesus does.
Funny piece on millennials in love.
1. Risking that 3% of battery life left to text back.
2. Caring about your partner more than you care about your Twitter follower count.
3. Not buying the cheapest wine on the menu.
4. Being able to relate to a Taylor Swift song, no matter how much you don’t want to admit it.
5. Only wearing mascara and lipstick instead of a full face of makeup.
6. Willingly participating in a juice cleanse, or paleo diet, or whatever she/he is into at that moment.
7. Finally deleting Tinder on your phone.
8. And your OKCupid profile.
9. Getting annoyed at every notification that goes to your phone that didn’t come from your significant other.
You may remember the wedding video of Ian and Larissa going viral a few years back. Here is an update on their life three years into marriage. Pretty neat. Also, they’ll have a book coming out from B&H here soon!